Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inconvenienced Again

Faithful readers of this blog (thanks to both of you) may remember that on January 3rd I suffered a seizure that landed me in the hospital for a few days. (See I've been Inconvenienced). At the time it was felt that this was caused by a sudden drop in blood sugar, mainly because a timely jolt of dextrose brought me out of it. It made a certain amount of sense because I am a type 2 diabetic and was taking metformin to keep my blood sugar levels down.

On Tuesday May 26th I suffered a second seizure. Like the first, it took place in my home before I had even risen from sleep for the day. Again the ambulance was called and again I was rushed to the hospital. This time, however, the EMT's measured my blood sugar first, determined that I did NOT have low blood sugar, and did not administer dextrose. I came out of the seizure anyway. So the good news is that my loss of consciousness apparently did not result from low blood sugar. This in turn means that my life was probably never seriously in danger. Further good news, now that a CAT scan, MRI, and EEG have been done, is that I don't seem to have any tumors or internal bleeds that might explain the seizures. The bad news is that I am therefore one of millions of people who definitely have a seizure disorder (or "convlusive disorder") of some kind,but no one knows why. Fortunately there are medications that can prevent such seizures and I am now taking one of them.

Other differences between the two seizures [too much informtion alert for the delicate of sensibility]: this one involved urinary incontinence and also left me sore all over and lame on one side apparently from convulsive tightening of the muscles when it was taking place. In both cases, it took several minutes after emergencing from the seizure for me to remember a lot of mundane facts (such as my address and what day it was) and to orient myself.

Anyway, that's what happened. Not much more to say about it except that I now feel much much better.
- - Rich

6 Comments:

Blogger Cat C-B (and/or Peter B) said...

Oh, damn, Rich.

Damn.

May there be few or no repetitions of this kind of "inconvenience."

Blessed be.

6:07 PM, May 28, 2009  
Blogger Tom Smith said...

Rich,

It is difficult to understand the way things work from time to time. May you respond to the medicine and your inconveniences will no longer occur.

Tom

8:54 PM, May 29, 2009  
Blogger Nate said...

Indeed. That sounds like no fun at all.

9:27 PM, May 29, 2009  
Blogger Daniel Wilcox said...

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear about your serious health crisis. I hope your condition improves.

May God's love be deeply real to you in this hard time.

In the Light,

Daniel

6:57 PM, May 30, 2009  
Blogger Chris M. said...

Likewise, I hope you continue to feel better and the medication helps.

Peace,
Chris M.

3:42 PM, June 01, 2009  
Anonymous Licia Kuenning said...

I thought Friends might like to know that the 4th and final volume of The Works of James Nayler is now available (480 pages, hardback). It contains Nayler's writings from 1657 until his death in 1660, plus a 65-page index to the 4-volume set. Larry K has also put the text on our website, and ordering instructions can be found there. This set is the first complete collection of Nayler's writings ever published.

Licia
http://www.qhpress.org

12:10 PM, June 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home