Friday, July 01, 2005

Eight Posts on the Advices of the Elders At Balby

In March I posted a general comment about the well-known advices of the Friends' "elders" who met at Balby, England, in 1656. I then followed up with 8 posts over the months from April to June, each one dealing with a few of the specific advices of these weighty early Friends. On that mythical day when I find the time, I would like to organize these into a single article with a title like "These Things We Lay on You: an Early Quaker Discipline".


The Elders at Balby

Advices 1 thru 4 of the Elders at Balby

Advices 5 & 6 from the Elders at Balby
Advice Number 7 of the Elders at Balby
Advices 8 and 9 of the Elders at Balby
Advices 10 and 11 of the Elders at Balby
Advices 12, 13 and 14 of the Elders at Balby
Advices 15, 16 and 17 of the Elders at Balby
Advices 18, 19 and 20 of the Elders at Balby

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kelley said...

Hi Rich,
Yea!, thanks for organizing these. Very helpful indeed. You know: if ever find that mythical day it might be great to get these together in pamphlet form...
Your friend, Martin

10:49 AM, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Mark Wutka said...

Hi Rich,
Thanks for posting this. I second Martin's suggestion that it would make a good pamphlet.

On your comment on advice #1, you said I'm not sure what "general meetings" means in this context: meetings for discipline? Would they have had committee meetings then? That's the kind of thing I think of when I read "general meetings".

1:15 PM, August 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home