More from the new George Fox web site
I have now learned, from correspondence with Hall Worthington, that I was incorrect in assuming that they had first heard of Fox through contact with Friends. Hall discovered Fox independently through his own reading. Indeed, he found when he did explore Quakerism-as-it-is-today that it is quite different from what he had thought George Fox was talking about. I know that many Quaker bloggers have had the same experience. Whatever differences I may discern between my own views and the Halls', it seems very important to me to open up a channel of communication between Friends who take George Fox's Christian message seriously, and these non-Friends who (unexpectedly) do the same.
To stimulate further discussion I am now going to quote a kind of summary of George Fox's message and ministry as the Worthingtons understand it.
THE GOSPEL REDISCOVERED
George Fox reestablished the true gospel (power of God)
that was lost for 1260 years and is again lost today. The gospel difference is:
1) God's peace to you. God's perfect example, (Christ) does not condemn you, but rather gives you His peace and asks you to trust Him to help you find heaven on earth.
HE AWAITS YOU! HE IS THE REWARDER OF THOSE WHO SEEK HIM!
2) He wants to purify you, perfect you, destroy all the sinful nature in your body, give you a new heart and mind, and make you one with Him and the Father. (not presumptively, but in reality). He wants you to not be burdened with your unhappiness and misery (Hell on earth), but rather to lead you to joy, peace, and happiness - the Kingdom of Heaven (Heaven on earth).
3) The process of purification is so simple, the wise of the earth scoff at it:
- Seek his kingdom within you and its' righteousness (and all else will be added)
(your necessary first priority)
- On a daily basis, in private, get quiet and think on the name of Jesus Christ.
( His name is the power to purify you; stay your hope in him changing you. When not quiet, think on whatever is noble, good, honest, lovely,etc. If there are others with the same hope to meet with, meditate with them.)
- Listen and watch. (eyes closed or open, it works both ways)
- Obey any simple, easy to understand commands heard or felt.
(You will hear many voices. Use scripture to validate. Don't fill in the blanks.)
- Practice acts love and kindness energized through faith.
(even the little things count! big things too encourage each other to practice giving, love, and good deeds "the only thing that counts is love energized by faith" )
- He awaits you. He is the Rewarder of those who seek Him.
4) This Christ and gospel is powerful enough to change us on this side of the grave and make us like Him. This Christ and gospel can destroy the sinful nature of sexual immorality, impurity, debauchery, idolatry, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, envy, drunkenness, etc. and replace them with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.