Saturday, September 24, 2005

I'll Be Blogging One Fine Day

Some folks have noticed I haven't added anything to this blog lately. Worse yet, my most recent post was a "red-faced" retraction of an earlier post that (it turns out) was basically accurate after all. I'm deleting that retraction today. Thanks to all who sent me documentation of the claims in the earlier post. (These had to do with whether or not a doctor in New Orleans had managed to post an account of some heroic efforts to deliver medical care during the hurricane - he really was able to.)

Meanwhile, though, the reason I've been quiet lately is that in addition to my job, my usual committee work in my meeting, and my regular family life I've been pouring a lot of effort into organizing, publicizing, and assisting with my meeting's Quakerism 101 class. This last will be over in late October and I may get some free time back. (I've learned not to promise things here, just to give educated guesses about what may happen).

Some posts I'd like to create are:
I.Further comment on the issues raised in earlier posts on Quakerism/Christianity/Universalism. Some possible titles here might be
A."What's In the Name? - Are our theological diffeences really only verbal?"
B."Is Universalism Too Narrow?"
II. A review of Licia Kuenning's book "Farmington! Farmington!" - working title of the review is "A Kinder, Gentler Apocalypse". Preview: I find the book troubling in some respects, but rich with real insights as well. It not only discusses, but also raises by its own existence some very knotty questions about what prophecy is, how to evaluate prophetic claims, and whether the spiritual validity of a prophecy depends on the accuracy of any predictions within it.

- - Rich Accetta-Evans

6 Comments:

Blogger David Carl said...

might you address whether or why theology might be necessary at all? was it invented by man or god, and if not by god, then is it really helping?

6:01 PM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Rich in Brooklyn said...

Dave Oschen asks a good question. Since I'm not able to do much blogging myself right now, I invite Dave or others to contribute their own thoughts by posting additional comments.
- - Rich Accetta-Evans

10:29 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger David Carl said...

I guess my concern when the word "theology" comes up is simply: are we talking too much? Are we bloviating about the spirit rather than being in it? Of course there is no one-size-fits all answer, but I believe these are good questions to ask when the discussion gets long winded. I could say a lot more about this, but then I'd be undermining my own premise...:)

2:24 PM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger Rich in Brooklyn said...

I guess this concern could cut quite close to the bone for me. It's obvious that I talk (or at least write) quite a lot about theology, and I don't suppose I'm qualified to discern for myself whether I am bloviating or not. (I love that word,by the way). I do think there are legitimate occasions to stop and think about God and try to address some questions that arise. But I'd also agree that this is quite secondary to actually waiting on the Light and walking the walk.

Somehow I'm reminded of a sign scotch-taped to a Quaker-owned mimeograph machine in a Quaker office I visited back in 1969 or 1970 when I was very new to Friends. It was a quote from George Fox which (if memory serves) was "Take heed not to print more than is required of thee by the Lord God." It was a good quote, of course. I haven't looked it up since, but I assume it's there somewhere in the SEVEN VOLUMES of Fox's Collected Works.

5:40 PM, September 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich,

Hope my comments weren't taken as a cut. Its really some self-pondering that gave rise to them. I think we males especially like to analyze stuff: "okay, I'll get this all figured out and then explain it to everyone...." I find that tendency in myself, at least, and its one that, while I am not entirely vanquishing (and perhaps never will), I am experiencing the futility of a great deal of my own "brain beating" to paraphase Fox. Perhaps this is a lifelong process of discernment.

11:32 AM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Quakerism 101 at 15th Street Meeting! Brings back some happy memories from 1990-91:

> Comment by a new attender: "I was raised Unitarian, and the difference between Quakers and Unitarians is that Quakers aren't afraid to use the word 'God.'" She said it an appreciative manner. And yet she stopped attending shortly thereafter.

> Joe Sweeney said when he met with his membership clearness committee at a different meeting, one of the elders said, "Quakerism is an evangelical, pentecostal faith. What do you think of that?" It turned out Joe didn't have to describe it quite that way, but it was a real insight to realize Quakerism is pentecostal by definition.

> Going to Veselka [Editorial comment: Gee, looks from their website like they've really spiffed up the place!] with Robin M. after Quakerism 101 class one time. And gosh, now we take turns teaching Firstday School once a month to our elementary-age son and his cohort.

So much can happen at Quakerism 101!

1:08 AM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home