Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Dialogue Project

My next post in the ongoing discussion about Quakerism/Universalism/Christianity is still under construction. Meanwhile, I want to post briefly about an interfaith experince I had recently.

A group called The Dialogue Project held a meeting at a Jewish Community Center in my neighborhood of Bay Ridge in Brooklyn early last week. It brought together people of several faiths and several ethnic groups in the community: The faith communities represented were Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Moslem (and one Quaker of course); Our ethnic backgrounds were Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Arabic, African-American, Hispanic and East Asian. This group had met before, but this was the first time that I had heard of it.

Not everything went smoothly, which I thought was in itself a good sign: it showed that people were being real. I am tremendously encouraged that such an effort is under way and I hope to continue participating. I understand that future meetings will consider projects the group can undertake in the wider community to foster greater understanding between and among groups.

- - Rich Accetta-Evans

2 Comments:

Blogger Leila M. said...

Glad it went well, hope you have more in the future

2:40 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Contemplative Activist said...

Hi Rich,

Have fun - I really enjoy that kind of group. Definately good to welcome the bumps along the road :D!

6:34 AM, August 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home